-->

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Quotes from Pilgrim's Regress

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from C. S. Lewis' book- The Pilgrims' Regress, which I have been reading.

"But I can tell you only what you know. I can bring things out of the dark part of your mind into the light part of it." -Reason to John

"Because the Landlord is the thing you have been most afraid of all your life. I do not say that any theory should be accepted because it is disagreeable, but if any should, then belief in the Landlord should be accepted first." -Reason to John

"He whom I bow to only knows to whom I bow
When I attempt the ineffable name, murmuring Thou;
...
And all men in their praying, self-deceiving, address
One that is not (so saith that old rebuke) unless
Thou, of mere grace, appropriate, and to thee divert.
Men's arrows, all at hazard aimed, beyond desert.
Take not, oh Lord, our literal sense, but in thy great,
Unbroken speech our halting metaphor translate." -song of John

"If thou think for me what I cannot think, if thou
Desire for me what I
Cannot desire..."" -song of John

"...and that though the best thing is to have, the next best is to want, and the worst of all is not to want." -the Guide to John

"Even the wanting, though it is pain too, is more precious than anything else we experience. -John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home