-->

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Left- handed?

So, I was sitting in my research in psychology class and I think we were talking about paradigms and accepting things just because they have always been that way and my prof mentioned the computer mouse being on the right hand side of the keyboard. "Why is it on the right hand side? Yes, most people are right handed, but if you used your left hand, that would leave your right hand to do other things."

Good point, though a little different, I thought at the time. But then I got to thinking about it. My current desk situation is not the greatest. Pretty much I have no room for my mouse on the right hand side. I was turning my keyboard to the side in order to use my mouse. So, inspired by my teacher, I decided to try the mouse on the left hand side.

It actually hasn't been too bad. Using a mouse does not require much coordination and therefore it has actually worked pretty well. I have not seen the advantage as of yet to having my right hand free, but it is a much better set up on my desk.

Just thought I'd share :-D. (my keyboard has to go there since it would be offset due to drawers on the left)

3 Comments:

At 10:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've done that before! Once when I'd hurt my right hand, too. Some mouses aren't quite shaped properly to be used by the left hand, but most regular ones work fine.

I found right/left clicking to be a little confusing because you can't just mirror image which finger is on which (your brain is good at doing mirror image things).

It is an issue if you have to do detailed design and image editing stuff. Unless you're left handed, your right hand is better at tiny, more precise movements.

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

Melissa- Yes, I could see where detailed movements would be difficult. So far I have not done anything that requires that much control (and I don't think I will). Surprisingly, I have not had problems with the clicking.

 
At 8:53 AM , Blogger ashley said...

I am a heavy mouse user (graphic designers have to be - there's so much we can't do on the keyboard). It would drive me nuts to have a mouse on the left! I also use my left hand for all kinds of shortcuts. Some of them, I couldn't do with my right hand (right now, I'm exploring shift+apple+G with my right hand - that's impossible! I use that command a lot). Though, my arm does get tired after using the mouse so much...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home