-->

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Legal Driving

I am proud to say that as of Friday, I am now a legal driver on the roads in the Dominican Republic. And, what you ask, is required for this? (ok, you may not ask, but I want to share).

Let's take the easy one first: driver. I purchased my 1992 225 Yamaha Serow at the beginning of June from a staff member who was leaving. He gave me one lesson before he left and I went from there.

Now onto the legal part. According to a motorcycle policy with work, I always have to wear a helmet on a motorbike on campus. No problem. As of July 26th, Dominican law now requires all motorbike riders to have a helmet. It has been interesting to see them as this new law comes into action with those on the road. You used to be able to distinguish Americans (or Canadians) in missions here by the fact that they were wearing helmets on their bikes. Dominicans are now wearing them, though theirs are generally more like baseball helmets or old-school helmets (I think of Ralph from The Mouse and the Motorcycle) while our helmets are DOT approved.

The new law also requires drives to always have their matricula, or title, and insurance. Thank goodness the title got passed on to me. As for the insurance, I went on Friday to purchase it. With 300 pesos (about $10), my US drivers license, and about 5 mis, I had insurance. Now "that was easy"!

And as an extra, I got a new battery on my bike, so I now have lights to drive at night and can honk when I pass people on the road. It is so nice to have a pair of wheels here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home