-->

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 1 of the new job

I made breakfast in the morning and was getting ready to make the boys' lunch. But I couldn't find the chick peas for the hummus. They were there the night before! I looked all over for them and was starting to get very frustrated- who took the chick peas and why?! What would I do for their lunch? Nearly in tears, I loudly ask “Who took my chick peas?” At Barry's* command, a few boys get up to help me look, but they don't stay long and everyone goes back to cleaning and getting ready for school. Why aren't they helping me? What am I going to do? What will the boys have for lunch? This is horrible!!!

I wake up...I was only dreaming. I didn't sleep well last night. I was too worried about making sure I had the right food and enough of it. I was worried about not waking up in time to get the coffee started and the granola finished. So, I barely slept. But the morning went well. The granola and yogurt were good, though there were no leftovers (what will I do for leftover night??). Things got cleaned up and I went about making the hummus for their lunch. My chick peas were all there, however, the power was out, so I had to hand mash it. I hope it tastes ok.

And now I am off. Only on for one shift and now a break. I guess that's good. I am thankful things are going better than I expected, though I still feel a lack of communication between me and Barry, the housefather. But I'm pretty sure it is all in my head, since I can be a control freak at times of major change. I look forward to getting to know and being there to love on all 7 boys who moved into the house and the 2 new ones coming today. I hope to share stories and insights and lessons learned as I grow in my new position of housemother at a therapeutic boarding school.

*names have been and will be changed to protect the staff and students involved.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:09 AM , Blogger Joanna said...

Teenage guys are bottomless pits- I can't imagine cooking enough for leftovers. Does an amount exist?

 
At 11:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaa what a bad dream :) Relax!! You got this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home