-->

Monday, September 18, 2006

When trials come

I have had a crazy past few weeks, emotionally. It has been a rollercoaster of amazing highs and terrible lows. I have felt so pleased and also cried more than ever. There have been pains I didn't expect. While I wish it all could have gone differently,
i have found a peace in the pain
i have found a hope in shattered dreams
i have found a strength in my weakness
i have found God here with me- and i'm not letting go!

There is something I have learned in all of this (actually many things, but for now I'll just share one) and that is how to view troubles, trials and pain. As much as we (and our parents for us) hope for a perfect, painfree life, that is never going to happen. First, we live in a sinful world. Second, we are sinful creatures. There is a lot we can do to screw up our own lives. Sometimes this is on purpose and other times we don't realize it- both times generally blinded by temporary pleasures.

But God can also be the cause of these trials. Hebrews 12:7 says "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?" It is through these hard times, even if created by ourselves, that God can grow us to be more like Him. (Hebrews 12:10-11)

So what do we do when the dreams we have of a perfect life fall apart? First, cling to God. There you can find peace and comfort and joy, despite the pain. Second, take a look at the situation, with God and other believers you are close to, and see what happened. Was this your fault? Was it the sinful world's? Was it God's way to grow you? Third, be open to learn whatever God has to teach you, so that you can become more like Him.

In no way am I saying that this will make everything easier. What it will do is help you to carry on and not be overcome with the pain. For me, I continue to play "what if..." situations in my head and feel the pain. But I know that this is where God wants me and He is using this to make me more like Him. I have found God here with me and I am not letting go!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM , Blogger ashley said...

Kristen, I think this is an incredibly insightful post. It really spoke to me - thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

I linked to it from my site, hope you don't mind!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home